I love a variety of breakfast foods, especially on weekends, but I keep coming back to my staple nutritious breakfast for busy mornings: the smoothie.
I always add protein and healthy fats and this gives me lasting energy. I don't feel too full after a smoothie - it doesn't weigh me down first thing and yet gives me steady energy through the morning. (Do watch the tendency of adding too much sweetness such as dates or sweet fruit, as this can cause a sugar imbalance and subsequent crash. Many protein powders available now are wonderfully, naturally sweet and no sweet additions are required.)
Smoothies are something I can drink on the go or in the car if I have somewhere to be. And, I can incorporate a bunch of healthy nutrients into my recipe each day.
I often don't have my smoothie first thing, preferring to start with water, a lemon water and/ or a cup of tea, but I encourage you to listen to your system and eat whenever it feels right.
Tip: I can also include any herbal or vitamin supplements I am taking and which I know taste okay, and would otherwise need to swallow in capsule form. Simply twist open any of the capsules with your fingertips and pour the contents in.
I love to change the ingredients for my smoothie each day, depending on what I have in the cupboard and what's in season, but generally my recipe might include:
- Rice or almond or oat milk (also try pure water!)
- Healthy fats. This may include one or more of 1/4 avocado, flax seed oil, Coconut oil, soaked nuts or nut butters such as almond, cashew, brazil or peanut. These healthy fats give and energy boost & really keep me going
- Cinnamon (fantastic for health) and often cayenne pepper
- Fresh, frozen, or freeze-dried berries. For some added antioxidant punch and intense berry flavour, try adding Lifefoods Essential Berries
- Often a green food supplement like Nuzest Good Green Stuff
- Some fruit for flavour, such as 1/2 banana or 1/2 orange, frozen berries, a mandarin, a tamarillo (DELICIOUS with chocolate), or passionfruit
- Sometimes, when I need an iron boost, Spatone Liquid Iron
Tip: Since I've been adding healthful fats each day, the blends I'm making are keeping me cranking until lunchtime and beyond - great for having a productive day without having to stop and snack!
If you're enjoying these healthful smoothie creations then why not try a delicious one for dessert! For a little decadent richness, try adding some super coconut ice cream or yoghurt, and a little maple syrup or a sprinkle of organic coconut sugar.