This recipe was created for an Epicurean column in our local rag, the Waiheke Weekender. It utilises our brand new product, Aotea Road Certified Organic Basil Seeds - which pack a nutritional punch.
This is a super quick & easy breakfast or brunch dish to kick-start energy levels. This quantity serves one – it can easily be increased to cater for more people. This dish should be quick & super easy – I also never measure anything properly so don’t feel like you have to.
- 1 banana
- 1 generously heaped dessert-spoonful of coconut oil to fry
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 ½ tsp tapioca flour (I get mine from plastic free pantry)
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1-2 tsp Aotea Road organic basil seeds (rich in minerals, they provide an antioxidant hit!)
- Sprinkle of salt
- You can add a drizzle on top: suggestions are below
- Optional addition: some soft goat’s cheese added during or after cooking.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan and melt your coconut oil in it
- Chop your banana and place into the melted oil to start frying
- In a bowl, beat your eggs and then sprinkle in the tapioca and rapidly beat straight away before any lumps form. Add the water and re-mix.
- Turn your banana slices over (you can use a spoon to do this as long as you’ve used enough oil)
- When your banana slices are a little brown on each side, pour your egg mixture into the pan
- Sprinkle on the basil seeds and a little salt
- Allow the eggs to cook a little and then fold the mixture from the edges in to turn and continue to cook/ scramble to your taste.
As this dish sits right between sweet & savoury, you can add a drizzle that panders to your personal flavour bent.
You could try a basil leaf infused oil for savoury, MCT oil (from coconut oil) for a neutral flavour and energy enhancer, or pure maple syrup & a squeeze of lemon for sweet lovers. Personally I like to add a small drizzle of MCT oil to help induce ketosis (burning fats for fuel), which I find helps me maintain energy and appetite stamina through the day – helpful for my busy schedule!