This raw & vegan chocolate coconut treat is seriously decadent & rich but unlike its packeted bounty bar cousin, when enjoyed in moderation, shouldn't leave you in a massive refined sugar slump. Refined sugar free (if you go with the raw chocolate version), it is gently gingery and VERY tasty via the delightful and very blue addition of Misty Day Plant Potions Cosmic Brew.
Approx 75g - 100g raw chocolate, or if you don't have time, simply use some 70+% vegan bought chocolate
- 2 - 3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or sweetener of your choice
- 4-5 tsp Misty Day Plant Potions Cosmic Brew
- optional (to give a vibrant lilac blue hue):
- 1-2 tsp Misty Day Plant Potions Blue Pea
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
A. Melt your chocolate for the outer
1a. If you're using my raw chocolate recipe, just make the chocolate base (cacao butter, coconut oil, cacao powder) and follow till step 3 when your mixture is melted.
1b. If you are using ready-made chocolate, chop your chocolate into 2-3cm chunks. Melt SLOWLY - I use my induction stove-top on low heat, as it has amazing temperature control. Otherwise use an oven on no more than 40 degrees Celsius (stirring occasionally). You can also use a double-boiler method as follows:
2/3 fill the same saucepan with water and start to heat towards a boil (but reduce the heat as bubbles start to appear in the water). Place your chopped/ broken up dark chocolate into a small bowl and carefully place onto the saucepan of water, ideally before the water gets too hot, being VERY careful not to get ANY water into the bowl. Gently stir the chocolate in the bowl until it melts.
2. If you're using store-bought chocolate, you want to add a little coconut oil or cacao butter into the melted mixture. This will off-set the powdery texture of the powdered herbs.
3. Pour a little under 1/2 your melted chocolate into a shallow dish about 10cm x 15cm so that it's about 1/2 cm or more thick. Put this base into the fridge or freezer to set while you make the filling.
B. Make the Filling
4. Melt your coconut oil in a bowl or a saucepan and add the other filling ingredients. Combine well.
5. Assuming your chocolate base is now reasonably firm, spoon your filling onto it - leaving about 1cm without filling around the edges. Use a rubber spatula or back or a spoon to smooth the filling down a little.
6. Pour the remainder of your melted chocolate over the top and to the sides. You can use your spatula to smooth it off a little, taking care not to penetrate to the filling.
7. Place into fridge to set before slicing, carefully lifting from the dish, and serving. Store in the fridge or at cool room temperature.