Gluten, Dairy Free; Raw and Vegan
A magical blend of chocolate and beetroot (if you haven't tried this combo yet, you must!) in a delicious raw chocolate base - and a real chocolate texture to bite down on!
A must-try and perfect for entertaining at dinner parties etc, as it can be prepared in advance and kept in the fridge.
Best made both with the fresh & powdered beetroot for an added kick. But if you only have one not both, then double the quantity of the powder or use 1 1/2 cups fresh.
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil (raw, organic)
- 1/2 cup Cacao Butter (raw, organic)
- 1/4 cup Coconut or Musquovado Sugar (organic)
- Juice of 1 fresh orange (or if not in season, then use bought juice).
- 1/2 cup Raw Paleo Protein from Amazonia - sifted. (If you don't need to be fully raw, this can be replaced with a similar product such as Nuzest Clean Lean Protein.)
- 1 cup Beetroot Powder (raw, organic) - sifted
- 1/2 cup Cacao Powder (raw, organic) - sifted
- 1/4 cup freeze-dried or frozen Acai (raw, organic. Optional - otherwise add a little more sugar or beetroot)
- 1/2 cup ground Almonds
- 1/4 cup Cacao Nibs (optional)
- 1/2 cup finely grated fresh Beetroot
- Small sprinkle of ground sea salt
Grease a shallow rectangular dish approx 12x 20cm with some coconut oil.
Slowly melt the coconut oil and cacao butter in a large saucepan over the lowest heat possible. (Don't get impatient here - we want to keep the temperature not too hot for your wrist).
Simply add all the other ingredients into the saucepan (more or less in the order listed) and combine with a spoon. Taste the mixture to make sure it's the right amount of sweetness, and adjust accordingly.
Once thoroughly combined, add the mixture to your dish, press and smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
Put into the fridge for 1 - 2 hours to set. Can be stored in the fridge for a week. Will soften slightly at room temperature. To serve, cut into small pieces - this is quite rich and decadent!
Photo credits to Michelle Hepburn and styling by Kate Newland